We’ve all seen this message before new software update available. While this may feel like a drag, keeping up to date with the most current version of DaVinci Resolve will ensure the best performance, along with giving you access to the latest new features and bug fixes. DaVinci Resolve updates are easy, and we will show you how to do it in this quick tutorial.
DaVinci Resolve Software Update
Before updating DaVinci Resolve, it’s a good idea to backup your important files just in case something goes wrong during the update. No one wants to lose their work, and creating a backup will prevent the loss of files should an error occur during the upgrade. Let’s see how to back up a database.
Step 1: Create a Backup
- Launch DaVinci Resolve.
- In the Project Window, select your database.
- On the top left of the project window, next to the word Databases, select the first icon: Backup.
- Select a location on your computer where you’d like the backup file to be stored and hit Save.
- DaVinci Resolve will show a message indicating when the backup is complete. Note: If you have multiple databases, Repeat this procedure for each database.
- The database is now backed up!
Step 2: Update the DaVinci Resolve Software
With your backup created and all of the data safe, it’s time to update DaVinci Resolve. In this example, we’re going to be updating DaVinci Resolve from right inside of the program, but you can also head on over the Blackmagic Design website to download any updates if you run into any problems.
- Open a project in DaVinci Resolve.
- Click on the menu DaVinci Resolve at the top left of the screen.
- Select Check for Updates.
- If any updates are available, you will be prompted to download the newest version. Go ahead and Download the new update.
- Once the download is complete, find the file on your computer. Check the downloads folder or the location you selected before the file was downloaded.
- Double click on the downloaded file to begin the installation process. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Step 3: Upgrade the Database (If Required)
After the DaVinci Resolve update is complete, it may be necessary to upgrade the database file. Generally, the database must be upgraded when there is a major update or a new version, for example, going from version 15 to version 16.
- Open DaVinci Resolve.
- When the project window opens, you will receive a message saying ‘Would you like to upgrade the database “your database name”. Select Upgrade.
- Once the database upgrade is complete, the DaVinci Resolve update is complete. Open a project and get back to creating!
We hope you found this tutorial helpful! DaVinci Resolve updates are quick and easy! Remember to backup your databases and check for software updates often. It will ensure that you’ve got all the latest and greatest features at your disposal to create amazing projects. Go out there and create something wonderful!