Video editing is a wonderful part of the creative process. All the pieces are coming together to create the video you’ve been dreaming of from the very first storyboarding session. And then… you can’t do something or wish you could do it more efficiently. That’s where Adobe plugins and other third-party video plugins come into play!
Video effects plugins give you and your projects more options. Usually, they will:
- Improve the speed and efficiency of a task
- Unlock a feature that your editing software can’t do or isn’t as great at
- Provide more customization for the effect
Here are 12 Adobe and video editing plugins and lists of plugins for your consideration — all lined up and ready to be used however and whenever you need.
Part 1: Top Video Plugins to Download
1. Premiere Pro Plugins by Motion Array
First on our list is Motion Array’s selection of Premiere Pro plugins, includes some plugins (see Shifter plugins) that are 100% free.
Get access to 16 different options for free when you purchase a membership. Quickly and easily apply transitions, effects, and more unique options that you can’t find anywhere else. Long Shadow, Shifter (free), and Film Roll effects are just the start of what’s available here!
- Main categories include transition and effects plugins.
- All plugins are included with your Motion Array membership, and free demo downloads are available (with watermark).
- Compatible with Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
2. Denoiser by Neat Video
The Neat Video plugin is specifically designed to filter out visible noise and grain from your videos. That’s the noisy, dancing light or static lines that you can sometimes see in other videos. When you use Neat Video, you will be able to scrub out the digital imperfections and save footage that you may not have been able to use previously.
- Instant preview and full preview option within your editing software.
- Supports all frame sizes and video formats.
- Compatible with Premiere, Final Cut, Vegas Pro, AVX hosts, After Effects, Motion, Catalyst, and OpenFX.
- Price ranges from $74.90 – $249.90. Bundles available.
3. Continuum by Boris FX
The Boris FX Continuum hosts a powerhouse of plugins ranging from simple filters to advanced effects that the professionals use regularly. Depending on the plugin or package selected, they work across most video editing platforms smoothly and seamlessly. Take a look at their detailed spec charts and pricing plans below and see what works best for you and your needs.
- Wide variety of effects available
- Compatible with After Effects CC, Premiere Pro CC, Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Avid Media Composer, DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, and Vegas Pro.
- Price range from $49.00-$695.00
4. Universe by Red Giant
Red Giant isn’t just another film and graphics plugin collection site. It’s a business run on what’s worked for them and others in the past — and what they want their users to be able to do in the future. They build software for themselves and they share it to the world. Red Giant is simple and elegant, just like a well-produced project.
- Compatible with After Effects CC, Premiere Pro CC, Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Avid Media Composer, VEGAS Pro, DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro.
- Price range from $30-$799 with monthly packages available and a free trial period.
5. Element 3D by Video Copilot
Video Copilot goes above and beyond in their lineup of tools! While we focus on their plugin options, it’s worth noting that they offer general training, sound effects/plugins specifically for sound and other package deals for specific projects and video sets.
- Wide range of themed plugin packages.
- Compatible with After Effects.
- Price range from $25-$199.95
6. Beauty Box by Digital Anarchy
While we’ve mostly looked at multiple use plugins and lists of plugins, highly specialized single use plugins can be found as well. Sometimes, these are more useful when you want to do one specific thing, such as retouching faces and people. Beauty Box is easy to apply and does all the work for you — just let it analyze your footage and/or stills and watch the magic happen.
- Includes a wide range of preset effects.
- Supports CUDA and OpenCL.
- Compatible with After Effects, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, and OpenFX.
- Price: $199.00
7. Random Text by FxFactory
There’s not much to say here. Another no-fuss, no-frills video plugin, this random text overlay is a great one-trick pony when you need it!
- Works with Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Motion.
- Get this one for free!
8. TotalFx by NewBlueFx
Another “one stop shop” for most video editing needs, the video plugin line at NewBlueFx is diverse as can be. Packaged in different volumes according to function and desired results, (with some singles mixed in) NewBlueFx shines most brightly for those projects that need a lot of time in the editing process.
- Package deals for specific situations and issues.
- Compatible with After Effects CC, Premiere CC, Avid Media Composer, DaVinci Resolve, Vegas Pro, and Grass Valley EDIUS.
- Price range from $59 up. One-time purchase only.
9. mStories by Motion VFX
If you want to jazz up your social media stories, this is the plugin for you. Designed to work across the giants of social media, the mStories plugin provides plenty of customizable options in order for you to amp your social media to the max.
- 50 different built-in options built-in and the ability to add calls to action.
- Compatible with Final Cut Pro X or Motion.
- Purchase for $89.
10. Plexus by Rowbyte
Plexus stands out among other plugins just because of what it does. Their website states that i is “designed to bring generative art closer to a non-linear program.” For the rest of us, that means Plexus brings an out-of-world experience to ordinary objects and text boxes. Check it out today and see what it can do!
- Compatible with Adobe After Effects.
- Get this one for $249.99.
11. 360 Degrees by Alex4D
Working with stylized 3D video presents some unique challenges. That’s where Alex4D comes into play. The simple (in appearance) overlays and effects will take your video to the next level in next to no time.
- Includes 3 free plugins for spherical clips.
- Compatible with Final Cut Pro X.
- Purchase the plugin for $79.
12. Twixter by RevisionFX
Need to slow down or speed up your frame rate? RevisionFX from Twixter has you covered. Offering a high degree of accuracy and timing, it goes above and beyond what your editing software may be able to do on its own. While this one is on the pricier side, if you’re in need of top-notch slow motion capabilities, you might find it’s worth it.
- Compatible with most major video editing programs. Check individual products and packages.
- The price varies between $329.95 – $595, but you can bundle more products to save.
Part 2: How to Get Started Using Motion Array Video Plugins
- Download the plugin file.
- Locate your downloaded folder and click “Install” to start the process.
- Select your version of Premiere Pro that you use and click “Finish.”
- Locate your plugin in Premiere Pro under the effects and transitions section!
- NOTE: If Premiere Pro was open, shut it down, and open up again to make sure that your new content is installed correctly.
- Sign into your Motion Array account to remove the red, demo ‘X’ on your project.
We hope you find these video plugins helpful and that we’ve sent you on your way with another burst of creativity. Just remember: if you’re struggling, there’s likely a video effects plugin that can help. You just need to know where to find it. Happy editing!